United Methodist Women developed the "13 Steps to Sustainability" to help churches practice just and sustainable energy and resource use at public events/meetings. There are measurable, practical steps to developed with experts' guidance and experienced national office staff.
The 13 steps are as follows:
- Principle 1: Accessibility
- Principle 2: Affordability
- Principle 3: Carbon Footprint
- Principle 4: Healthy Food and Beverages
- Principle 5: Just Economic Opportunities
- Principle 6: Local Solidarity
- Principle 7: Multigenerational Inclusion
- Principle 8: Paper Use
- Principle 9: Racial Justice
- Principle 10: Toxin Reduction
- Principle 11: Waste Reduction
- Principle 12: Water Use
- Principle 13: Well-being of Participants
Along with descriptions and practicals tips for each principle, UMW has a suggested Bible study, videos, a planning events guide and self-measurement survey. Find these and other resources here.