On the fourth Sunday of Lent (March 22 this year), the designated gifts of church members around the world will benefit the ministry of the United Methodist Committee on Relief. The United Methodist Church's humanitarian agency offers the balm of Christ’s love to those impacted by crisis or chronic need.
Encourage your congregation to give generously on this Special Sunday. Use these resources to help you plan a worship service that reminds members and visitors of God’s love for all people.
To assist you with your worship planning, use this checklist of worship resources that looks through the lens of Matthew 25:35, NRSV:
“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”
- Make sure that each person who attends worship receives an UMCOR Sunday offering envelopeand bulletin insert. (Follow the links to order the free envelopes and inserts.)
- Include the order of worship with relevant liturgy designed to connect with the scripture message.
- Check out this sermon starter.
- Take time for a mission moment before the offering. The offering talk includes a vignette about a person who benefited from the offering, a scripture reading and encouragement to give generously.
- Use social media and website graphics to promote UMCOR Sunday in advance.
Check out these other resources:
- Social media material (English, Korean)
- Children’s resources
- A comprehensive youth ministry plan
- Informational videos
- Devotional podcasts
- Curated reading list
- Video playlist
- Inspirational smartphone wallpaper.
As you prepare for UMCOR Sunday this year, invite the Holy Spirit to stir your congregation to acts of compassion and caring. Remember the generations that have come before, and rekindle God's gift within you. Pray for the people and ministries that will benefit because of your congregation’s generosity.
Thomas Kemper is general secretary of the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries, headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The United Methodist Committee on Relief is part of Global Ministries.