United Methodists respond to invasion of Ukraine
United Methodist leaders decried war and asked prayers for peace after Russia began an invasion. Meanwhile, churches in Ukraine are opening as shelters.
Articles and media
- Ways United Methodists can talk together about war and peace
- How are United Methodists present in Ukraine?
- Methodists in Romania offer shelter to Ukraine refugees
- Ukrainian pastor and Eurasia bishop reflect on invasion of Ukraine (video) – Minnesota Annual Conference
- Eyewitness to the Russian Invasion: Interview with Ukrainian Scholar Constantin Sigov – Church and Society
- FAQ: The crisis in Ukraine – Global Ministries
Ways to support Ukraine
- UMCOR International Disaster Response and Recovery
- Eurasia In Mission Together – Ukraine and Moldova - Advance #14053A
Social media graphics
Show your support for the people of Ukraine by using one of these graphics on your social media and online channels.
- Bishop Christian Alsted: “UMC bishops call for peace in Ukraine,” Nordic-Baltic Episcopal Area (February 24, 2022).
- Bishop Eduard Khegay: "The shame of war," Eurasia Episcopal Area (February 24, 2022).
- Bishop Ken Carter: “Bishop Carter Issues a Call for Prayers & Peacemaking,” Western North Carolina and Florida Annual Conferences (February 24, 2022).
- Bishop David A. Bard: “Blessed Are the Peacemakers: Bishop Bard Issues Call for Prayer,” Minnesota Annual Conference (February 25, 2022).
- Bishop Sudarshana Devadhar: “Bishop offers prayer for peace in Ukraine,” New England Annual Conference (February 25, 2022).
- Bishop Laurie Haller: “Pray for Ukraine, Pray for Peace,” Dakotas Annual Conference (February 25, 2022).
- Bishop James Nunn: “Bishop's Call to Prayer for United Methodists,” Northwest Texas Annual Conference (February 28, 2022).
- Bishop Cynthia Moore-Koikoi: "Pray for Peace in Ukraine" Western Pennsylvania Annual Conference (March 1, 2022).
- Bishop Wallace-Padgett: "Prayer for Ukraine" North Alabama Annual Conference (February 26, 2022).
- Bishop Gary Mueller: "Prayers for Ukraine" Arkansas Annual Conference (February 24, 2022).
- Roland Fernandes, general secretary, General Board of Global Ministries: “Appeal for peace in Russia-Ukraine conflict” (February 24, 2022).
- United Methodist Women: “United Methodist Women Condemns Invasion of Ukraine” (February 24, 2022).
- Rev. Dr. Susan Henry-Crowe, general secretary, General Board of Church and Society: “Cease the War, Wage Peace” (February 26, 2022).
- Rev. Derek Weber, director of Preaching Ministries, Discipleship Ministries: "Prayers for Ukraine" (February 25, 2022).
- Dave Zellner, chief investment officer, Wespath: "Comment from the CIO: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine" (February 25, 2022).
- General Board of Higher Education and Ministry: "An Open Letter to IAMSCU In Response to the Invasion of Ukraine" (March 7, 2022).
- The Rev. Adam Hamilton, senior pastor, Church of the Resurrection, Leawood, KS: “God grieves for the violence humans inflict on one another” (February 25, 2022).
- World Council of Churches: “Statement on Ukraine” (February 24, 2022).
- National Council of Churches: “NCC Appeals for Peace for the People of Ukraine” (February 24, 2022).
- World Methodist Council: "Ukraine: Christian World Communions condemn assault, call for peace, invite to prayer" (February 24, 2022).