They give up comforts so we can live in freedom. They leave their families behind to protect ours. They return changed by their experiences and are in need of our love and support.
As you celebrate Veterans Day, giving compassion to those who serve and their families, think about how your congregation can find opportunities to support them year round.
Below you'll find tips and ideas for honoring and supporting veterans and military families on Veterans Day and beyond.
Our free Veterans Day resource bundle includes sermon starters, an order of worship, a worship graphic, social media graphics and a bulletin cover that can be used for a Sunday service or an off-site celebration/commemoration service.
Free Graphics to Download
- Graphics bundle: This zipped file contains a social media graphic (sized for various platforms), a bulletin cover, and a worship graphic.
- Promotional flyers: Color and black & white available in this PDF.
The list below includes information from other United Methodist agencies regarding Veterans Day and military support. Explore each to learn more and collect more ideas to use locally.
- Veteran's Day: A Time to Remember and Support Bulletin Insert/Flyer is an interfaith resource full of suggestions of what faith communities can do to support veterans and their families. This resource is also available in Spanish.
- Visit the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry for suggestions about how congregations can faithfully serve those in the armed forces, their families, and the religious professionals who care for them, especially those deployed overseas.
- Visit the Discipleship Ministries' page with further suggestions for observing Veteran's Day in worship.
- We Honor Veterans is a program of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization that works veterans and their families, community providers, in partnership with VA staff, to meet their unique needs and accompany and guide them in providing end-of-life care.