Human Relations Sunday Special Sunday Communications #2
Stand for racial justice. Give to Human Relations Day offering on January 17, 2021.
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.” Ephesians 3:20, NIV
Dear Church Leader,
When fourteen years old, Brennen Boose was asked to produce worship videos for his church, he knew he needed training. He found it at Grace United Methodist Church in Rochester, NY, in their Youth Empowerment video production class. Grace UMC, a member of the Human Relations Day (HRD) Community Developers Program network provided training and mentoring to Boose. Later through his connection with Grace UMC and then pastor, Rev. George Nicholas, he was asked to join the HRD youth mentoring program at the General Board of Global Ministries.
"The program expanded my faith, exposed me to many opportunities, and increased my self-confidence," says Boose.
Today Boose is a graduate of the University of Arkansas with a Bachelor's degree in Business and works as a Content and Digital Media Marketing Specialist at the General Council on Finance and Administration (GCFA) in Nashville, Tennessee.
Your gifts to Human Relations Day support the Community Developers Program, United Methodist Voluntary Services Program, and the Youth Offender Rehabilitation Program.
Human Relations Day is two weeks away! Review your celebration plans and use the resources and ideas below to support your celebration.
- Remind your congregation about the upcoming Human Relations Day celebration and encourage them to participate.
- Share the youth resources with your youth leader and ask him/her to use them with the youth group.
- Distribute children’s resources to parents and encourage parents to use them at home. (Older members may also download the resources to share with their grandchildren or other children. Your Christian education leaders may reinforce the lessons during church school.)
- Encourage your speaker to use the sermon starter to support his or her message,
- Invite members to download mobile wallpapers to their phones and ask them to encourage their friends and family to use them and or share graphics on their social media pages.
- Share poster graphic on social media as "lead up" to remind the congregation about your Human Relations Day celebration.
- Use social media cards as visuals during your online worship service to engage participants in worship on your media platforms.
- Remind members to give online at ResourceUMC.org/HRD or add your church's online giving link in your social media posts, streaming comments, or e-newsletters if appropriate.
- Pastor and Leader Kit resources are also available in French, Spanish, and Korean: sermon starter, bulletin insert, offering talk, liturgy, poster, and social graphics.
- Share the Human Relations Day video that features Brennen Boose with your congregation to inspire them to give.
Thank you for your generous gifts to Human Relations Day offering.
Connectional Giving Team
Article Title: Special Sunday Communication 03 | Human Relations Day 2021
Pretext: Your gifts change lives. Give generously to Human Relations Day offering this Sunday.
A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; even as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. —John 13:34, ASV
Subject/Header of Body: Human Relations Day is this Sunday— January 17, 2021
Dear Church Leader,
We are grateful for your annual gifts to Human Relations Day offering. Your gifts to the Human Relations Day offering support:
- grants to promote ministries that respond to non-violent youth offenders through education, advocacy, or leadership training and development.
- organizations and congregations that fight economic, racial, and social injustices.
- grants to racial, ethnic, and multicultural congregations to hire community developers to empower the underserved.
Human Relations Day is this Sunday!
Here are additional resources to help you with your celebration.
- If your church has online giving, communicate your online giving information to your congregation or ask them to give online at ResourceUMC.org/HRD
- Present a mission story from the Human Relations Day Mission Moment and More (includes vignette about an offering recipient, scripture reading, and offertory prayer) or use the Offering Talk provided in the Pastor and Leader kit before you receive the offering.
- Pray for those who are experiencing injustice and poverty.
- Remind your speaker to emphasize ideas from the Sermon Starter.
- Share the total offering received and thank the congregation for their generous gifts.
- Send the offering to your annual conference treasurer.
Thank you for your generosity.
Connectional Giving Team