Special Sunday Communication 02 | UMCOR Sunday 2021
Involve your church in missions. Celebrate UMCOR Sunday on March 14, 2020
“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” —Galatians 6:2, ESV
UMCOR Sunday is two weeks away—March 14, 2021
Dear Church Leader:
Before COVID-19, Oklahoma had one of the highest eviction rates in the country—1,200 evictions monthly. During the pandemic and despite the eviction moratorium issued by the CDC, eviction filings accelerated in the state. Although the state prohibited evictions for a period, but many people still struggled with their finances. In response, UMCOR worked with the Oklahoma Annual Conference to provide grants to help those affected.
The Rev. Jeff Jaynes, executive director of Restore Hope Ministries, a ministry of the Oklahoma Conference says, “We are thankful to UMCOR and the church. The best things that we do as the UMC are when we can come together, help people in need, and reflect the kingdom of God to the community. We’re thankful for partnership.”
UMCOR Sunday is just two weeks away. If you’ve not done so already, I encourage you to plan ways to celebrate UMCOR Sunday on March 14, 2021. Support UMCOR’s “cost of doing business,” and empower UMCOR to continue the life-changing work it began 80 years ago.
Resources in French, Spanish and Korean such as sermon starters, bulletin inserts, offering talks, liturgy, social media graphics and a poster can be found at ResourceUMC.org/UMCOR. I hope you will
- add to church mailing or make sure that each person who attends worship receives a Special Sunday offering envelope and bulletin insert.
- include the order of worship with relevant liturgy designed to connect with the Scripture message.
- check out this sermon starter.
- take time for a mission moment before the offering. The offering talk includes a vignette about a person who benefited from the offering, a Scripture reading, and encouragement to give generously.
- communicate your church’s online giving information to the congregation or encourage your congregation to give to UMCOR Sunday at UMC.org/SSGive.
Also available are promotion and social media material, children’s resources, a comprehensive youth ministry plan, informational videos, devotional podcasts, a curated reading list, a video playlist and inspirational smartphone wallpaper.
Thank you for your help in promoting the UMCOR Sunday offering. This special offering underwrites UMCOR’s “costs of doing business,” which allows UMCOR to keep the promise that 100 percent of any gift to a specific UMCOR project will go toward that project, not administrative costs.
When you give generously on UMCOR Sunday, you make a difference in the lives of people who suffer.
Thank you for your faithful giving to the UMCOR Sunday offering.
Connectional Giving Team