Email Title: UMCOR Sunday Email #1
Email Subject: Partner with UMCOR and Alleviate Suffering
Scripture: “So we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.” — 2 Corinthians 5:20, NRSV
Pretext: Celebrate UMCOR Sunday on March 27, 2022
Dear Church Leader:
Imagine you wake up one morning. A man-made or natural disaster has occurred. Lives in your community have turned upside down. It’s a citywide or statewide disaster. What do you do?
This is the plight of many people in the United States and around the world. Whether man-made or natural disasters, when disaster strikes, the United Methodist Committee on Relief goes into action to help alleviate suffering and express the love of Christ to those involved. During the early stages of a disaster, UMCOR provides grants to partners such as annual conferences and other groups to support the immediate needs of those affected. For longer-term needs, UMCOR works with local partners in recovery and reconstruction work.
UMCOR Sunday is five weeks away. Celebrated on March 27, 2022 (or on a day that you select for your church), UMCOR Sunday is a time to give gifts that provide help and hope during times of disaster, be it famine, hurricane, war, flood, fire, or other challenges.
It’s time to shape your plans to celebrate this important Special Sunday.
- Download the UMCOR Sunday Pastors’ and Leaders’ Kit and social media graphics, videos, offering talk, bulletin inserts and other resources.
- Use the 2022 Special Sundays planning calendar located in your Pastors’ and Leaders’ Kit to implement your promotion schedule. Feel free to adjust the planning calendar schedule to fit your congregation’s needs.
- Pastors’ and Leaders’ Kit resources are also available in French, Spanish and Korean, which include sermon starter, bulletin insert, offering talk, liturgy, poster and social media graphics.
- Click here to order your printed pew card and printed offering envelopes or call 1-800-991-6011 to place your order.
- Place the pew card and offering envelope in a visible area so members and visitors can access them before the UMCOR Sunday celebration.
- Select the person(s) to lead the celebration.
- Announce the celebration date to your congregation as soon as possible.
- Communicate your online giving information to the congregation or encourage your church to give at UMC.org/SSGive to the UMCOR Sunday offering.
- You may customize the announcement copy below to fit your needs. Publish this information to your members on your social media platform, websites, newsletters and other media.
UMCOR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENT COPY
“UMCOR Sunday is March 27, 2022. Mark your calendar and plan to worship with us and support this important ministry of our church. In 2021 gifts to UMCOR Sunday totaled $1,272,162. Your gifts to UMCOR Sunday offering support UMCOR’s cost of doing business. This helps UMCOR keep the promise that 100 percent of any gift to a specific UMCOR project will go toward that project, not administrative costs. UMCOR has no source of income for sustaining administration except through gifts to UMCOR Sunday offering.
Thank you for giving to the United Methodist Committee on Relief through the UMCOR Sunday offering.
Gifts to UMCOR Sunday offering cover the administrative cost of the United Methodist Committee on Relief’s ministry. When you support UMCOR’s cost of doing business, you help UMCOR keep the promise that 100 percent of gifts to a specific project will fund that project.
Thank you for your faithful giving.
The Connectional Giving Team,