All clergy in The United Methodist Church are required to have “regular, up-to-date sexual ethics training to be in good standing for appointment” (BOR 2016, p. 140). This page is designed for the trainers who lead these workshops.
If you are a sexual ethics trainer, would like to become a trainer, or would like to contact a trainer, please contact us.
RESOURCES: The basic curriculum for clergy boundaries trainings is Healthy Boundaries 101 (formerly called “A Sacred Trust”) by the FaithTrust Institute. For subsequent clergy trainings, try Healthy Boundaries 201 also by the FaithTrust Institute. Forthcoming, December 2013, is a book from Fortress Press, designed for continuing education for clergy.
Here are some other resources that may be useful when planning your conference’s training event for clergy.
- UM Sexual Ethics for distribution at annual conferences
- Sermons by Bishop James Swanson and Rev. Traci West, as well as plenary presentations from 2011 Do No Harm event in Houston, Texas.
- Parts I, II, and IX from General Commission on the Status and Role of Women, 2011.
- “The Power Trip,” by Jonah Lehrer, Wall Street Journal, Aug 14, 2010.
- Clergy Ethics by Bishop Hee-Soo Jung.
“Confidentiality and Mandatory Reporting: A Clergy Dilemma?” by Marie M. Fortune.
- “Fiduciary Duty and Sacred Trust,” by Darryl W. Stephens, Living the Sacred Trust, Section II, General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, 2010.
- “Ten Myths about Clergy Sexual Misconduct” by Darryl W. Stephens
- Sessions 36-38 on clergy boundaries (2 hrs each session): Discipler Groups Curriculum
- Bibliography of books and other resources
- Video presentations from Do No Harm 2011 (at under “Leadership”).
Send your resource recommendations to GCSRW.
GCSRW OFFERS TRAININGS
Healthy boundaries for clergy (see resources above)
Misconduct Response Teams
Supervisory Response by Bishops and Cabinets:covering policy, process, and procedure toward the goal of justice-making.Primary resource:
Victim Advocacy: Primary resource: Block, Heather.Advocacy Training Manual: Advocating for Survivors of Sexual Abuse by a Church Leader or Caregiver. Mennonite Central Committee, MB, 2000.
The FaithTrust Institute also offers webinars and trainings on a regular basis: